Skip to main content

The Gun Argument


SID: autistic/adhd with ptsd/mdd, yt, US Navy veteran with topsider watchstanding arms training.

I would personally feel even less safe with a weapon, as gun ownership has a risk during maintenance as well as an automatic escalation of violence during a conflict. Not to mention "mental issues" are a target for discrimination and cognitive issues make deescalation more difficult. Basically if a cop yells an instruction at me and I can't understand, I don't respond in time, even if I'm doing my best I will get shot. Better to eliminate all apparent threat and hope to God no one thinks my cell phone or plush toy is a gun. At my intersection of discriminations due to physical and cognitive disabilities and gender, I do not feel like the Second Amendment protects me in any substantial way.

However, I do not support criminalizing weapons possession regardless of the source of the weapon, I think everyone should have the right to arm themselves as best they may, and I would likely feel different about personal possession of a deadly weapon if I lived in a community with people I trusted. Even though the risk is the same, there's a benefit, something reassuring to me, in knowing that someone else has a weapon to discourage violence towards me. Strength in numbers and all that.

what was that statistic, in one year, some time ago, they found out 40% of the police officers had been accused of domestic violence. Guns won't protect us; other people will. Maybe. If they feel like it. If i make myself into someone they care about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

interdependence and apples

》 It really saddens me that it only takes one bad apple to ruin a bunch for most people. The reason the saying is, "one bad apple ruins the bushel/barrel" is that because of the way apples rot, they emit a gas that causes all the apples around them to rot as well. When talking about how people interact, a person did not develop their personality by accident or by chance; they were enabled by so many people that there's almost no way of picking out any particular influence. For instance, if you read the book about Trump by his niece, she points out that nearly every troubling behavior he has was initially caused by the extremely high desire he had to earn his own father's affection, and was subsequently reinforced by celebrity-dom and the trappings of wealth. Similarly MLK Jr., who was a reverend for some time before he became a celebrity, was strongly influenced by his own understanding of the Word of God and the unconditional support of his loved ones, ev...

the value of exploitation

》  Income of black slaves? You clearly don’t realize slavery almost abolished itself because of hoe **nonprofitable** it was until the cotton jin Growing cotton has never profited from slavery. In fact, paid laborers were more profitable than slave laborers even after the cotton gin was created; although the question of whether the paid laborers were not also being exploited is certainly apparent. The country was divided on the matter of slavery from the very start - northerners, influenced by Quaker ideals, tended to express the belief that all men are equal under God, whereas white southerners, for what reasons I cannot fathom, tended to express the belief that the color of someone's skin displayed the color of their soul, or something to that poetic effect. Letters from 1775 show that white southerners *believed* slavery to be more profitable, to be a biological necessity, even held some kind of religious concern about it and definitely had concerns that the kingdom ...

Unintentional Abuse

Questioner: [what do you mean by] Unintentional grooming? Questioner: explain further pls cuz i’ve thought about that but never like- processed it fully >> I am doing my best to avoid getting really psychological here, but the basis of the concept is that the human mind avoids thinking about things that threaten your sense of self and reality. This is a well-documented and extremely strong instinct. So like, people don't automatically assume that they are doing something bad. Nearly every person will seek out and find justifications for everything they do. A 40 yo isn't going to suddenly get up and say, "I've never had an interest in younger people before, but I suddenly want to take advantage of someone's naivety." Becoming an asshole like that is a process shaped by exposure to the abuse of others (not usually direct abuse, surprisingly) and being enabled by social expectations and unfettered access. They do not believe that they are doing anythin...